Sunday, October 7, 2007

those that forget the past....




The history of the valley that I live in; The "Westinghouse Valley" continues to amaze me.
this week, Jill took me to the "Atom Smasher" in Forest Hills. She was actually taking me to the Kar Hing Restaurant for a Szezchuan dinner and a couple of TsingTao Beers, but it is within a stone's throw of the Atom Smasher.

This was the worlds first industrial particle accelerator. It was built in 1937, significantly before nuclear power was a practical reality. Today it is another decaying, abandoned industrial facility in Pittsburgh. It will possibly be demolished in the near future...another loss to world history. I took a number of pictures of the site with Jill's camera. i'll post some of them when I get them.

I was able to take a few photographs of the demolition of the KDKA building; the site of the worlds first commercial radio broadcast. These are the photos that are included with this post.

The building took several weeks to demolish. It fought the demolition every step of the way....Says something about the comparative quality of recent buildings.

But the building is gone now...

Truly a loss to history.
Not just local history but world history.

No comments: